Facts, Inside Africa, Travel

Top 10 Smallest Countries in Africa

2) São Tomé and Príncipe (964 km2)

As the name suggests the country has two parts: the island São Tomé and the smaller island Príncipe. Príncipe is roughly 140 km to the north-northeast of São Tomé and both islands are 225-250 km off the coast of West Africa (near Gabon). The island nation has a population of 190,000, the majority of whom live on São Tomé. São Tomé and Príncipe is the smallest Portuguese-speaking country in the world.

Currently the country is trying to develop its petroleum industry. In cooperation with Nigeria it sold exploration rights for $123 million (receiving 40% of the total and Nigeria the remaining 60%). Though little progress has been made since then.

1) Seychelles (451 km2) – The Smallest Country in Africa

The Republic of Seychelles is a country roughly 1500km off the coast of East Africa. It is the smallest African country. The country consists of an archipelago containing 115 islands. With only 92,000 inhabitants it is the smallest sovereign nation in Africa.

The Seychelles is the country with the highest GDP per capita in Africa. However there are still a lot of poor people because of the extremely high inequality. The country relies heavily on tourism (about 30% of the population works in the tourism industry).

Seychelles - smallest country in Africa

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>